East and West Essex Provisional Cavalry 1797 - 1828

In 1796 the war against France was continuing and it was decided to recruit more volunteer cavalry units to be called the Provisional Cavalry.

Essex was divided into Eastern commanded by Lt Colonel Lewis Majendie and Western commanded by Lt Colonel John Convers.

In April 1797 recruiting musters took place at Galleywood Racecourse, Warley Common, Lexden Heath, Little Dunmow, Thornwood Common ( Epping) , Wanstead Flats, 50 Mile Stone ( Castle Hedingham), Hawkwell Common, Tiptree Heath, Tendring Heath and Saffron Waldon Common.

By 1810 there were 17 Troops with a total of 706 men within the Essex Yeomanry

  Commanding Officer
1st Troop Colchester John Convers
2nd Troop Wm Tuffnell
3rd Troop J A Houblon
4th Troop Viscount Maynard
5th Troop Harlow J Burgoyne
Hatfield Peveral Troop aka East Essex Legion P L Wright
Loyal Havering Troop R Newman
Halstead Volunteer Cavalry J G Sparrow
Epping Forest Volunteer Cavalry John Rigg
Uttlesford and Clavering Cavalry R Raynsford
Barstable and Chafford Yeomanry Cavalry Aaron Hurrell
Freshwell Volunteer Cavalry Allen Taylor
Haverhill Volunteer Cavalry R P Dodd
Wakering Volunteer Cavalry Jonas Asplin
Colchester Volunteer Cavalry William Gill
East Essex T Cock
Aveley Troop Sir T Barrett-Lennard   Bart.

After then end of the Napoleonic Wars the Yeomanry was maintained to help deal with public disorder but numbers of recruits waned and in 1828 the Regiment was disbanded.