Colne Valley & Halstead Railway Company

The Colne Valley Railway was opened in 1860 to run from Chappel to Halstead. Over the next few years the line was extended to Castle Hedingham and on to Haverhill in Suffolk.

The line was one of those that was closed in the 1960's.

Like all similar enterprises many of the staff joined the services at the start of World War One of which five were killed during their service.

Those who fell include two members of the Essex Regiment.

Photograph and information about the memorial courtesy of East Anglian Railway Museum

A memorial was erected in the waiting room of Chappel Railway Station which is now better known as the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel.

Lance Corporal Walter Coe of the 9th Battalion Essex Regiment - Killed at the Battle of Loos on 23 October 1916 aged 25

Private Frederick Tyler of the 9th Battalion Essex Regiment - Killed at the Battle of Arras on 11 July 1917 aged 24

Private William Barber of Worcester Regiment

Private Percy James Brown of Grenadier Guards

Private Charles Ernest Rulton of the Training Reserve

This memorial is now on public display

Since the memorial was commissioned there have been several changes of management in the railways and the Colne Valley Railway is no more.

The memorial has a permanent home on display at the East Anglian Railway Museum at Wakes Colne, Essex which is apt as the railway museum uses part of the old railway line.